It’s the second targeted attack in the last week.
A 30 year old Prince George man is dead after what RCMP believe was a targeted shooting on the 3600 block of Forest Avenue, near Ospika Boulevard around 11:20pm Wednesday night. The victim, known to police, was found dead in the driveway of a residence. Police are still trying to determine a possible suspect in thew shooting, but it’s believed the suspect fired a number of shots, while the victim suffered at least one gunshot wound.
Cpl. Craig Douglass with the Prince George RCMP is confident the attack was targeted and linked to the drug trade. However, police can’t yet confirm if it is connected to last Friday’s shooting on Freeman Street, that led to the arrest of a Prince George man. “We’re gonna let the evidence of this shooting and the evidence of the previous shooting dictate where those investigations go and if they have some kind of an excess to one another then we’ll look at that,” Douglass said.
In the meantime, residents are shocked. Terry Gibbs lives just a few doors down and says he thought some kids were playing with firecrackers, until he heard the sound of a car racing away. “I was laying on the couch and watching TV and then it just went ‘boom, boom, boom’, like five big bangs,” he said. “I’ve never experienced anything like this.”
Others like Nicole Rikley, are more concerned for the safety of their family. “It’s a little bit scary, there’s lots of kids in the neighbourhood, so it hit a little close to home,” she said.
For now, the RCMP continues to look for answers as they are requesting anyone with private or commercial exterior video surveillance of the area to contact the Prince George detachment at (250) 561-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 222-8477.