Five local arts organizations in Prince George and area are successful in receiving a little more than $140,000 in funding from the BC Arts Council.
The funding for each recipient comes from a record-high 24 million dollars the BC Arts Council receives annually from the province. BC Arts Council grants approved for Prince George-Valemount and Prince George-Mackenzie recipients between March 1 and May 31, 2016, are:
· $10,000 – Prince George Conservatory of Music
· $70,000 – Theatre North West Society
· $23,400 – Prince George Symphony Orchestra Society
· $32,300 – Prince George Regional Art Gallery Association/ Two Rivers Gallery
· $4,500 – Robson Valley Music Society
General Manager with Theatre North West Society, Marnie Hamagami, says local artists and organizations are happy with the support. “It’s a great way to help the community access art and theatre here in Prince George,” she said. “Additionally we also do have a couple of small little mentorship programs where we have some of our younger artists working in the theatre and this money really helps to support those programs.”