The Province gave the green light to the new Valemount Glacier Destinations ski and sightseeing resort after signing a master development agreement. $100 million dollars will go into the first phase of the project. The new resort, located in the Premier Range of the Cariboo Mountains immediately west of the Village of Valemount is working toward opening in December 2018. On completion, the new resort will include:
- Year-round glacier skiing and gondola access for alpine sightseeing;
- Access to mountain top elevations of more than 3,000 metres (9,850 feet), including the summits of Mount Pierre Elliot Trudeau, Twilight Glacier, Glacier Ridge and Mount Arthur Meighen;
- The largest vertical drop in North America, third largest in the world, of over 2,000 metres (6,726 feet);
- A base-area village with residential, hotel and commercial space, which will be a focal point for all seasons resort activities; and,
- 800 full-time jobs that will be created and supported through the construction and operation of the resort.