A townhall meeting at UNBC lasted all of 20 minutes, with not many updates for evacuees who are currently in Prince George after fleeing their communities over the last 7 days.
Mayor Lyn Hall addressed the evacuees at the Canfor Theatre Saturday evening.
“We are in a position to house as many people as possible.” said Hall.
“We’re happy to have to you for as long as possible.”
Hall added that the city will extend services, such as food vouchers and the ability to have some funds after tomorrow for another 14 days.
The evacuation centre at CNC also received a shipment of 600 hygiene products from Disaster Aid Canada on Saturday which are for evacuees.
Some of the items include, shampoos, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste and other toiletries.
Meanwhile Member of Parliament for Cariboo-Prince George, Todd Doherty says it’s been a heartbreaking day.
“Today is a tough day” said Doherty.
“It’s absolutely horrifying what I’m hearing.”
Evacuees fleeing Williams Lake were unable to travel north on Highway 97 as flames from wildfires had jumped the highway north of the city, closing the road in both directions.
Residents, who were put on an Evacuation Order earlier this evening, were being asked to direct themselves south to Kamloops via Highway 24 and Highway 5.
There’s no word on whether evacuees will be asked to go to Prince George when they arrive at Little Rock.
The evacuation reception centre in Kamloops was located at Thompson Rivers University, but it has since reached capacity and it has been moved to the Sandman Centre.
500 cots have been set up there with the possibility of adding another 200 cots.
It’s located at 300 Lorne Street.