Soon there will be few signs of the roles UNBC and CNC played in the evacuation of thousands of residents from the Cariboo. As of Friday morning, only 20 remained in lodging at the Northern Sport Centre. The City says those 20 have now been moved into local motels. At one point, 700 people were being provided with a bed in an evacuation centre.
Meantime the hours of operation for the Emergency Reception Centre at CNC, will be reduced Saturday morning to 8:00am to noon daily.
And work will begin next week to tear down the plywood floor that had been placed in the Sport Centre’s field-house. Officials have confirmed the cots in the field house were never used.
“The participation and support of the College and the University have been integral to the City’s response to the needs of Cariboo residents who have been forced from their homes by the wildfires,” said Mayor Lyn Hall. “Both institutions can now get back to their core business in time for the resumption of classes. We’ve also recently removed beds that we installed in the PGSS Gym and wish to thank School District #57 for their support and assistance as well.”
Despite the recent changes, Prince George remains active as an evacuation site and continues to host residents who are under an evacuation order.